Thursday, July 28, 2011

DIY sunburst mirror

While browsing the internet I came across a DIY sunburst mirror and decided to give it a go...

Materials

~2 packs dry cedar shims ( I paid around $3 at Home Depot)
~an 8'' and 12'' floral ring ($3 at Michaels)
~a center mirror (your size of choice, I bought an 8" one from Michaels for $4)
 ~ a glue gun


I started by attaching my first layer of shims to the larger floral ring.


Then I attached one shim along the backside to join the two floral rings.


I then glued down the top layer, filling in the gaps between the larger layer, onto the smaller floral ring.


Next, I glued the mirror on.  
At first I liked the natural look, but I decided that I wanted a bolder look, so I am going to spray paint it today.  I should have waited to attach the mirror, oh well.
 Now I just have to pick a color.  
(Will post updated picture when complete)


Grand total for this DIY project $10, and if I remembered my Michaels coupon...arrrgghhh... it would have been much cheaper!

2 comments: